Tout Liégeois – of a certain age… – who respects himself knows the former Hôtel des Postes, today called the Grand Poste. Dominating the Grand Léopold district – but here too, only the oldest know this appellation… – near Place Cockerill, facing the Meuse, and a stone’s throw from Place Saint-Lambert and the quay where the market is held. la Batte, this neo-Gothic building whose construction dates back to 1901 is a small wonder that we owe to the architect Edmond Jamar.
For decades, it was the main post office of the principality, to then become a major center of Liège cultural life. In 2011, the promoter BPI decides to acquire the place (the sum of 3.6 million euros is mentioned) and to enter into a reallocation project which also includes two Dutch developers.