Constance Sandoval

Janny Sikazwe was taken to a hospital immediately after the scandal over his charges in the duel between Tunisia and Mali.

The referee would have been affected by the strong sun that was at the time of the game.
© screenshotThe referee would have been affected by the strong sun that was at the time of the game.

On Wednesday the African Cup of Nations experienced an unusual episode in the middle of the clash between Tunisia and Mali, when the match referee, Janny Sikazwe, whistled the end of the match twice before regulation time. Today, the story took a turn.

The Zambian judge decreed the end of the match at 85 ‘and 89’ and did not even grant discounts, despite the fact that during the match there were a total of six substitutions, two penalties and a red card.

As expected, all the fury of the fans fell on Sikazwe, demanding harsh penalties for his performance in the match, but the situation took an unexpected turn in the last hours.

Essam Abdel-Fatah, AFCON’s chief referee, told the media that his colleague was rushed to a hospital in Limbe, Cameroon, after Mali’s 1-0 win over Tunisia.

“The referee suffered a heat stroke and very severe dehydration, which led him to lose concentration and was taken to hospital,” he revealed.

The helmsman of the referees justified Sikazwe by explaining that the discomfort due to the 37 degrees on the court made him “lose time in the 80th minute, and the game ended in the 85th minute.”

Along the same lines, Abdel-Fatah explained that the beaten judge “returned after instructions from the auxiliary body and then ended the game again in the 89th minute. When the crisis occurred, decisions and control were lost in the game, and the fourth referee was the one who was going to complete the match [en lugar de Sikazwe], but one of the two teams refused ”.

For its part, CAF announced that “in relation to the African Cup of Nations match between Tunisia and Mali played in Limbe on January 12, 2022, CAF is compiling all the necessary reports from the referees in the match. CAF is forwarding these documents to the competent CAF bodies. At this stage, CAF is not in a position to make further comments until the responsible bodies indicate the way forward ”.

In this way, and with new precedents on the table, it is expected that the African Football Confederation can issue a new statement shedding light on what will happen, and if the match will be repeated or the result that stirred the whole henhouse will be maintained. in Group F.

Leave a Reply