Alec Baldwin handed over his cell phone to police on Friday as part of the investigation into the death of a filmmaker on the set of “Rust“, killed by a revolver that the actor was handling during the accident.
At the time of the tragedy, October 21 on a ranch in Santa Fe, New Mexico, Alec Baldwin was working on a scene with cinematographer Halyna Hutchins. He had been presented with the gun as harmless as it was supposed to contain only dummy bullets.
In particular, the police are looking to find out how live ammunition could have been found on the set, which is in theory strictly prohibited.
In mid-December, investigators had obtained a warrant authorizing them to seize the phone of Alec Baldwin, also producer of the western, believing that it could contain “proofscase-related, such as messages or emails.
Alec Baldwin surrendered his iPhone on Friday to authorities in Suffolk County, New York, where he has a home. Local police will make a copy of the data contained in the device and pass it on to their New Mexico colleagues in charge of the investigation, a spokesman for the sheriff of Santa Fe county told AFP.
This data has not yet been transmitted and exchanges with his lawyers and his wife will be excluded, under an agreement between Alec Baldwin and the authorities, said the spokesperson.
On Thursday, sheriff’s services explained that negotiations were underway to obtain the actor’s phone due to “jurisdictional issues“.
Last week on his Instagram account, the actor posted a rather rambling video in which he claimed to be willing to cooperate with the police, calling “lies” the “insinuations“that he was not obeying the requests of the investigators.
No arrests have been made to date in this case, but criminal proceedings are not excluded in the event that responsibilities are established, the services of the Santa Fe prosecutor pointed out shortly after the tragedy.
In an interview with ABC, Alec Baldwin said he felt neither guilty nor even “responsibleof the death of Halyna Hutchins.