At least 20 migrants crossing the English Channel bound for the United Kingdom have died this Wednesday in a shipwreck near the coast of Calais (northern France), reported official media.
SIGHT: The United Kingdom raises its terrorist alert level to “serious” after the explosion of a car in Liverpool
This tragedy occurs when migratory tension grows in Calais and its surrounding areas, after the peaks of 2015 and 2016. In the first ten months of this year they tried to cross the English Channel irregularly by sea to reach the United Kingdom 24,655 people, when in all of 2020 there had been 9,551.
French Prime Minister Jean Castex called what happened a “tragedy”. “I direct my thoughts to the many missing and injured, victims of criminal traffickers who exploit the despair and misery of immigrants,” he said on Twitter.
- COP26: Boris Johnson asks rich countries to “put money on the table”
- The accusations of favoritism and corruption that put Boris Johnson on the ropes and divide the conservatives
- Boris Johnson at COP26: The “wrath of the world” will be “unstoppable” if the climate summit fails
The Minister of the Interior, Gérald Darmanin, has traveled to Calais.
The recent increase in this flow of immigrants, many coming from Afghanistan, Bangladesh or Eritrea, has led, for example, to the dismantling last week of a network dedicated to the trafficking of immigrants in the English Channel, which resulted in the arrest of 15 people.
In a decision that reflects the migratory tension between the two borders, the chain of sports equipment establishments Decathlon withdrew recreational boats from sale in several stores in northern France to prevent them from being used by migrants in their attempt to reach the United Kingdom .
IT MAY INTEREST YOU
- Journalist who reported on the start of the coronavirus in Wuhan is on the verge of death in jail, according to his family
- Mortuary clerk admits he committed dozens of sexual assaults on corpses
- Austria offers jobs with salaries of up to US $ 4,000 to foreigners, including Peruvians: what profession are they looking for and how to apply?
- Salt Bae Feeds Vietnam’s Communist Minister With More Than $ 1,100 Gold-Plated Steak | VIDEO
- Life sentence for woman who murdered five of her children in revenge because her husband left her
- Bill Gates talks about an upcoming threat that would put the world ‘in check’