The shock in Ligue 1, between Olympique Lyonnais and Olympique de Marseille was interrupted after five minutes of play. Dimitri Payet was hit in the head by a bottle thrown from the stands.

After this incident, the referee of the meeting, Ruddy Buquet, sent the two teams to the locker room. Dimitri Payet, he remained on the ground for treatment.

The author of the projectile throw was quickly identified and arrested. The match was definitively interrupted at 10:42 p.m., two hours after the incident.

Course of events

OM’s N.10 was about to kick a corner when projectiles landed next to him, facts reported by the referee to the match delegate.

When calm seemed to have returned, Dimitri Payet tried to put the ball down to play the corner, at which point he was hit in the ear by a bottle of water thrown from the Lyon stand.

The Olympian captain remained on the ground for long minutes, surrounded by players from both teams and members of the Marseille medical staff. He then returned to the locker room, an ice pack on his temple.

He was greeted by chants of insults during the warm-up, emanating from the two turns of the OL supporters.

The supporter who threw the bottle, was identified by CCTV cameras, before being arrested. At first (10:05 p.m.) the stadium announcer announced that the match would resume. The Lyon players were back on the pitch at 10:10 p.m. But at 22:42 the announcer officially announced that the match was definitively stopped. He confirmed that “the safety of the players was no longer guaranteed “ and that the “meeting could not resume “.

2 images

Dimitri Payet was about to take a corner when projectiles landed on the pitch. © AFP or licensors

Payet had already been hit by a bottle in Nice

The Reunion midfielder had already been hit by a bottle during a match in Nice at the very start of the season, in August.

The match was then interrupted a quarter of an hour from the end, before being replayed behind closed doors and on neutral ground, in Troyes on October 27 (1-1). The Riviera club had been sanctioned with a withdrawal of two points in the standings, one of which was suspended.

The 2021/2022 Ligue 1 season is marked by numerous incidents in the stands. Projectile jets notably tarnished the match between Marseille and Paris SG on October 24 at the Stade Vélodrome.

After these new extremely serious facts, the Disciplinary Commission of the Professional Football League will meet in emergency this Monday morning. Olympique Lyonnais risks big penalties.

Newsletter sport

Receive most of the sports information every morning.


Leave a Reply