President Abinader and Minister Bonilla hand over the Padre Billini Teaching Hospital

National District – The President of the Republic, Luis Abinader, and the Minister of Housing and Buildings, Carlos Bonilla, formally handed over the Padre Billini Teaching Hospital for its start-up.

With an investment of 2,175 million pesos, the Billini was remodeled in its entire infrastructure, extended over some 10,470 meters. Thanks to this renovation, the hospital now has areas for adolescent care, outpatient, emergency, pharmacy, blood bank, laboratory, 12 offices, tuberculosis unit, intensive care, pathology, and general services, in addition to 57 new beds. hospital, plus a new diabetic foot unit.

Thanks to this intervention, the hospital was equipped with a wide range of state-of-the-art equipment such as digital mammography, tomography, digital X-rays, full-body digital densitometry, panoramic dental X-rays, C-arm system, surgical microscope for neurosurgery and spine and equipment for laparoscopic surgery.

All this was possible thanks to the efforts of more than 200 collaborators, who worked in two daily shifts every day of the week, in the conditioning of the hospital, since the current administration of the Ministry of Housing and Buildings received the work with just 22 % of execution in August 2020 and, in less than 2 years, the complete remodeling was completed in record time.

The medical center was renovated following the guidelines and regulations dictated by international standards in hospital infrastructure and the Ministry of Public Health, in addition, the work was carried out with the utmost care, respecting the facade and internal structure that qualify the hospital as architectural heritage of the Dominican Republic.

Billini’s intervention focused on the entire structural part of the building, the electromechanical installations and the construction of a new building annexed to the main floor.

It is important to note that the chapel of San Andrés, which dates back to the 16th century, was also restored. A certified specialist was hired for his intervention, in order to respect what is considered a jewel of the country’s architecture.

“Padre Billini Hospital has been a protagonist and an active part of the history of all Dominicans. With its remodeling and modernization we are not only contributing to the health of this entire community of neighbors, but we are also preserving a historical and patrimonial legacy of our nation. Our central government is focused on maintaining a firm commitment to providing Dominicans with first class health services and this hospital keeps the word of the government” expressed during his speech, Minister Carlos Bonilla.

The Padre Billini Teaching Hospital, originally called the Royal Hospital of San Andrés, dates back to 1552 when Francisco de Molina cared for patients who lacked resources at home. Through the years it grew, until the priest Francisco Xavier Billini, in 1880, rebuilt it.

The center also has an important history in the medical service, since, in the April 1965 war, Father Billini’s Mercedarian Sisters of Charity gave protection, shelter and care to the contenders and the residents of the hospital.

During the inauguration ceremony, led by President Abinader and Minister Bonilla, the most excellent Mrs. Raquel Peña, Vice President of the Republic; Dr. Daniel Rivera, Minister of Public Health; Mrs. Milagros German, Minister of Culture and Dr. Mario Lama, Director of the National Health Service.

Likewise, the president and the minister were accompanied by Mr. José Ramón Holguín, Vice Minister of Government Monitoring and Coordination of the Ministry of the Presidency; Mr. Pablo Portes, adviser to the Executive Branch; Mrs. Faride Raful, senator of the National District; Mrs. Carolina Mejía, mayor of the National District and Sister Trinidad Ayala, Mother Superior of the Mercenary Sisters of Charity congregation.

Leave a Reply