The actor Tom Sturridge, also known as Dream, explained how he tried to replicate the appearance of the protagonist from the Sandman comics:
‘I wanted a literal translation of what I saw on the pages on my body. So we painted my skin an A4 paper white. I put on black lenses and thought it looked amazing. Only it didn’t work. People asked if I was dressing up for some kind of Halloween movie. But in the camera test, Neil Gaiman came in and said: The thing is, Tom, you’re already quite pale and your hair is always messy. And if I look into your eyes, I can see the cosmos. So we’re fine’
The main cast of the series features:
- Tom Sturridge (Rock Pirates) as Morpheus
- Charles Dance (Game of Thrones) as Roderick Burgess, a charlatan, blackmailer and magician.
- Gwendoline Christie (Star Wars: The Force Awakens) as Lucifer.
- Boyd Holbrook (Logan) as Corinthian, a nightmare created by Morpheus himself in sandman to represent all that is most perverse in human nature.
- Vivienne Acheampong (The Witches) as Lucienne, one of Morpheus’ most trusted associates.
- Asim Chaudhry (Wonder Woman 1984) and Sanjeev Bhaskar (Unforgotten) as Abel, “the first victim,” and Cain, “the first predator,” respectively.
- Mason Alexander Park as Desire;
- Donna Preston as Despair;
- David Thewlis as John Dee;
- Razane Jammal as Lyta Hall;
- Stephen Fry as Gilbert;
- Patton Oswalt as Matthew the Raven;
- Joely Richardson like Ethel Cripps;
- Niamh Walsh as the young Ethel Cripps;
- Kyo Ra as Rose Walker;
- Sandra James Young like Unity Kincaid;
The creator of the original work, Neil Gaimanwrote the pilot episode alongside David Goyer and Allan Heinberg.
Meanwhile, the authorship of the remaining ten episodes will only be Heinberg, who also assumes the role of showrunner.
the HQ of sandman lasted 75 issues (from 1989 to 1996), telling the story of Dream (also known as Morpheus), an ancient and powerful being who is the embodiment of dream and imagination. He is one of the Endless, a group of seven brothers that includes Delirium, Desire, Destruction, Despair, Fate and Death.