“I have a separate God,” he says Gerard Confalonieri (49) and smiles gratefully for this new opportunity that life gave him. Two weeks ago, the public relations specialist, interior designer and figure confidant of the showbusiness and from jet set, What Mecha Sarrabayrouse, Ginette Reynal, Graciela Borges, Delfina Frers Y Elena Grondona (just to mention some of her friends), she woke up in an intensive therapy room, in Gualeguaychú (Entre Ríos), after suffering a pre-heart attack Y of heart attacks The same day.
One of the “stable” characters of this season for decades, Gerard was driving his car to Uruguay with the idea of celebrating the arrival of 2022 at the home of his sister, Gloria, when fate played him a strong pass, at 230 kilometers from Buenos Aires. “I don’t want to think how things would have been if all this happened to me in the middle of the road and not in my parents’ [se llaman Jaime y María Cristina]… ”, He says, moved, on the other end of the phone with Hello! Argentina.
“Do you know what impacted me the most? How life continues to give me opportunities. On Wednesday the 12th I turned eight years clean of drugs and alcohol. That day in 2014 I went to my first Narcotics Anonymous meeting in La Candelaria, the church of La Punta, and since then I have not used more, but I could have died. Before committing myself to the treatment, I couldn’t stop taking cocaine and here I am, alive and kicking… Well, I don’t know if I’m kicking that much, but I’m alive, which is the important thing, ”he continues, with his usual good humor.
-As was? What happened?
–I spent Christmas with my sister and her family in Capitán Sarmiento, Buenos Aires province, and already there I felt a strange pain in my throat. I thought it could be because of the cigarette [fumaba dos paquetes por día, además de entrenar seis veces por semana] or by the Covid. On Monday the 27th, when I left home to swab, I made half a block and had to stop at the little bar on the corner, tired. I did the PCR, it was negative and on Wednesday the 29th I started the route, alone, in my car, through the bridges. I stop in Gualeguaychú –something I hadn’t thought about beforehand, came to my head while I was driving–, I go out for coffee with Dad and after a few meters I feel a strange pain in my chest, which makes me stop. The pre-heart attack. I decide to lie in bed for half an hour before going to Fray Bentos and there I have my first heart attack. My parents urgently take me to the Cardiovascular Institute and, while I wait for Dr. Kesselman to treat me, I have my second heart attack. They transferred me to the San Lucas sanatorium and Dr. Luchessi put a stent on me and it saved my life.
-What luck that you stopped at your parents …
Yes, because in the smallest towns there are no places where you can have an emergency heart operation. If he continued with the car, he would die on the side of the road. God was by my side once more. [Se emociona].
“Did you know that what you were having were heart attacks?”
–With the second heart attack, yes. In addition to the strange pain in my throat, I felt a terrible tightness in my chest, like the footfall of an elephant. You can’t breathe, you can’t speak … It’s maddening.
– What was it like to receive 2022 boarding school?
–I felt very protected and safe in the sanatorium. I thought I had spent the night of the 31st alone and then I found out that Mom was with me, eating ice cream. Wick [Sarrabayrouse] He told me we talked on the phone one morning and I didn’t register it either. I was in therapy for a short time: on Saturday the 1st they transferred me to a room and on the 2nd, they released me.
–And you continued your trip to Uruguay. Did you have a medical clearance?
– I took the route on Tuesday the 4th, at night. Total unconsciousness. It was not recommended to me, but I felt good to drive. I did 460 kilometers in nine hours. I came very calm, listening to my music.
– Why didn’t you stay in Gualeguaychú?
-I wanted to be here, calm, in my house [tiene un departamento en la zona del puerto] and be with my sister and my friends. Even though I’m still tired, I feel better every day. I stopped smoking and I cannot train, nor do I exert myself. I plan to take these days very easy.
– Do you know what caused the heart attacks?
– When I return to Buenos Aires I am going to do the pertinent studies, but I think it was a combination of my years of drug use and smoking. When he was using, he smoked between nine and ten packs a day. Although I have been very physically active in recent years, my heart suffers.
“And what brought you to that first Narcotics Anonymous meeting?”
– I had wanted to recover for a year, but could not start. “I want to stop, I want to stop,” he thought, and was consuming more and more. Fifteen days before my first meeting, I began to mentalize, and on January 12 I managed to break the cycle. That morning I bathed, put my perfume on, and went to my first group. Since then, I am clean of consumption and of thought, which is what allows me to throw good energy and help others to leave. It is an incredible achievement and I appreciate it every day.
– Just as you were born again that January 12, last December 29, life gave you a new chance.
–Although I am moved by all the affection that they send me, at times I feel a bit sad too. I’m still processing everything that happened. The messages and calls that I receive every day give me great strength … Ines Pertiné He requested a mass for me in Buenos Aires. But now I’m scared: you never know when you might have a heart attack again.
“How long will you stay in the East?”
“I used to stay until February, but I have had a dog for a year and a half, Baby, who is like a son.” He stayed in a nursery in General Rodríguez and I miss him a lot. I’ll stay until the 20th. Afterwards, I don’t have much idea what I’ll do. Maybe I’m going to a field, to Pilar or Mar del Plata. I’ve been living one day at a time for a long time.