Madeleine case: Former police chief "acquits" suspected pedophile

Former Portuguese police inspector Gonzalo Amaral, who was in charge of investigating the disappearance of little Madeleine McCann in 2007, does not believe in the guilt of the 44-year-old German, who is the main suspect in this case.

Read more: Madeleine: She was abused and killed by a German convicted pedophile

The German authorities “made a suspect”, speaking to the French Agency, the former police inspector claimed, on the occasion of the release, tomorrow Thursday, of a new book entitled “Mandy: lies are enough!”.

“If they had anything against him they would have already accused and convicted him,” he added, insisting that it had not even been proven that he had been abducted.

Little Mandy, the blonde girl with short hair and big blue eyes, disappeared from the room where she slept on May 3, 2007, a few days before she turned 4, at the Praia da Luz resort, where she was vacationing with her family. After 14 months of controversial investigations, during which her parents were also considered suspects, the Portuguese police closed the case. Five years later, however, he reopened it.

German police have recently identified a German pedophile suspect, Christian B., who has already been convicted of rape in Portugal and is being held in a German prison. The man was on the list of people the Portuguese police wanted to talk to when Mandy went missing, but investigators did not find him at his home and did not question him in 2007.

“We did not have the opportunity to interrogate him and some other people,” Amaral said, acknowledging that police should have been more persistent then.

Amaral had written a book in 2008 entitled “Mandy, the Forbidden Investigation”, in which he estimated that the parents were responsible for the disappearance of the girl. They responded by suing him for defamation and asking for the book to be banned. The former police officer was convicted in 2015, but was definitively acquitted in 2017.

The case raises issues of “national sovereignty”, he said today, urging the Portuguese authorities to continue the investigation.

Source: ΑΠΕ-ΜΠΕ

Leave a Reply