According to the bill submitted by the Hungarian government on Monday and signed by Prime Minister Viktor Orbán, the powers inherited after the resignation of László Palkovics were distributed between ministers Csaba Lantos, János Lázár and Márton Nagy.
THE in the Hungarian Gazette The decree published on Monday details the duties and powers of the relevant department heads. With the departure of László Palkovics from the position of minister of TIM, the government structure is being transformed and two new ministries are being created in his name:
The Ministry of Energy is headed by Csaba Lantos, the Ministry of Economic Development is under the control of Márton Nagy.
Among the former areas of László Palkovics, a number of areas will come under the jurisdiction of János Lázár and the expanded Ministry of Construction and Transportation:
- matters related to traffic safety
- the rules of road, air, rail and water transport
- the rules related to expressways and smooth roads
- on the transport of goods, the regulation of transport services, with particular regard to the restriction of the movement of heavy goods vehicles and the transport of dangerous goods
- driver training
- training and examination of transport specialists
- public transport travel discounts
- designation and protection of vital systems and facilities belonging to the transport sector
- development, management, organization and coordination of the transport network infrastructure
- the development of railway facilities, the determination of the tracks and general development requirements of railway developments
- intercity public transport
- maintenance of the railway track network
- Development of logistics systems in Hungary
- preservation and presentation of the technical and transport heritage
The head of the department also carries out governmental tasks related to the determination of the development directions of logistics systems and the preservation and presentation of the technical and transport heritage. In agreement with the minister responsible for IT, Lázár develops the proposals for the development of the sector’s info-communication infrastructure, as well as his service strategy.
Márton Nagy’s ministerial responsibilities
At the head of his independent ministry, Márton Nagy will be responsible for the following areas:
- domestic economy,
- employment policy,
- industrial affairs,
- social dialogue
- and business development.
The Minister of Economic Development cooperates with the Hungarian Chamber of Commerce and Industry, the National Association of Entrepreneurs and Employers, the National Association of Manufacturing Workers, the Hungarian Bank Association and other economic chambers under his remit.
According to the decree, Márton Nagy is responsible for the wage policy, according to which the head of the ministry develops proposals for the government’s wage policy.
Responsibilities of the new minister
At the head of the new Ministry of Energy, Csaba Lantos is responsible for the following matters as the new minister:
- mining matters,
- energy policy,
- environmental Protection,
- transition to a circular economy and product value chain supervision,
- determination of waste management public service and service fee,
- waste management,
- waste management supervision,
- coordination of sustainable development tasks related to the circular economy and waste management,
- water utility service,
- national utility services.
As part of his responsibility for energy policy, the new minister of the Orbán cabinet coordinates the preparation and implementation of state infrastructure investments affecting the energy system, provides
in relation to the emissions trading system of the European Union, tasks related to the allocation and settlement of European emission units of greenhouse gases, and the operation of the emissions trading system.
Csaba Lantos is also responsible for creating and implementing the strategy for sustainable development and sustainable development.
(Cover photo: János Lázár. Photo: Tamás Kaszás / Index)