As reported by Index, Manchester United terminated him with immediate effect on Tuesday Cristiano Ronaldo his contract after the Portuguese star publicly criticized the club recently. In an exclusive interview published just a week and a half ago, the Portuguese forward vented about what he had experienced at Manchester United in recent months. The five-time Ballon d’Or veteran said, among other things, that he was “betrayed” by the club, the manager Erik ten Hagot but he doesn’t respect him, because he doesn’t respect Ronaldo either.
The 37-year-old classic naturally reacted to what happened, and also said that he has only one goal in front of his eyes: he wants to win the World Cup with the Portuguese national team.
Despite this, the speculation started, and so far it seemed that two teams could bid to sign the striker: Chelsea and Sporting Lisbon. However, according to The Sun Sport, it appears
the blues can drop out of the race.
Chelsea last summer yet was keenly interested in Ronaldo, but primarily the new owner and president, Todd Boehly it was his dream to sign him. The coach of the London association at the time, Thomas Tuchel however, he thought it better to strengthen the defense, so the Portuguese remained in Manchester. Graham Potter his arrival could have been a new opportunity for Ronaldo, but a British newspaper as you know, the London team does not plan to sign the star leaving the rival in the winter either.
Ronaldo and Manchester United’s contract termination was also featured in Index Sportcast’s special World Cup edition. In the episode below, we spoke with player agent Zombori Zalán, a former national team player, about how we see the Portuguese striker’s situation and what opportunities he will have after the World Cup.
Index Sportcast is also available on Apple Podcast and Spotify, past broadcasts by clicking here you can listen back.
(Cover image: (John Walton/PA Images via Getty Images)