DR Congo and Rwanda sign a "immediate ceasefire agreement"
  • Post author:
  • Post category:News
  • Post comments:0 Comments

Published on :

An agreement has been reached for an “immediate ceasefire” as of Friday at 6 p.m. in the east of the Democratic Republic of Congo, following a mini-summit in Luanda on Wednesday, the Angolan minister announced Foreign Affairs.

It will take effect Friday at 6 p.m. An “immediate ceasefire agreement” was reached between the Democratic Republic of Congo and Rwanda on Wednesday, November 23, during peace talks held in Luanda, Angola.

The Congolese President, Félix Tshisekedi, notably met there with the Rwandan Minister of Foreign Affairs Vincent Biruta, in the absence of President Paul Kagame.

The parties also agreed to demand “the immediate withdrawal of the M23 rebels from the occupied areas”, Minister Tete Antonio said after the meeting.

The delegations were received by the Angolan President and mediator appointed by the African Union, Joao Lourenço.

Renewed tension

Eastern DRC has been plagued by violence from armed groups for nearly 30 years, many inherited from wars that bloodied the region in the wake of the 1994 Rwandan genocide.

After a lull, the region has been experiencing a resurgence of tensions since the end of October. The rebels of M23 (“Movement of March 23”), a former Tutsi rebellion which took up arms again at the end of 2021, accusing Kinshasa of not having respected agreements on the demobilization of its fighters, took ground by advancing on Goma ( is).

The DRC accuses Rwanda of supporting this rebellion, which Kigali systematically disputes. Kinshasa said on Tuesday that it was “out of the question” to discuss with the rebels of the M23 before their withdrawal from the areas they occupy in the east of the country.

A ceasefire had been concluded in July in Luanda. But the agreement between the heads of state of the two neighboring countries was immediately violated on the ground.

(AFP)

Leave a Reply