Melissa Garlobo
  • Post author:
  • Post category:News
  • Post comments:0 Comments

MADRID, Spain.- The Cuban pentathlete Melissa Garlobo “left” Team Cuba with which she traveled to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, to compete in the Qualifier for the 2023 Pan American Games.

Although the event occurred at the end of last October, it did not come to light until this Thursday, when it was confirmed by sports journalist Francys Romero.

According to Romero said from the social network Facebookclose sources indicated that the 19-year-old girl “hopes to continue her career in Brazil.”

On October 28, the official media HIT published a note dedicated to the results of the selection in the qualifying tournament. In said note HIT He mentioned Garlobo only to point out: “Melissa Garlobo occupied the 33rd place and then left the delegation, in what she qualifies as serious indiscipline.”

Garlobo, a native of Granma, studied at the EIDE Pedro Batista Fonseca, and began practicing the pentathlon at the age of ten.

The pentathlete (swimming, fencing, horse riding, shooting and running) won the team bronze medal, along with Diana Leyva and Delmis Pérez, at the Modern Pentathlon Open Pan American Championship, held in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, last August. With this, she had secured a place for the Central American and Caribbean Games to be held in San Salvador between June 3 and July 8, 2023.

This week it also emerged that the rowers Boris Luis Guerra, Ernier Tamayo, Alexei Carballosa and Nayala Torres left the national delegation with which they were at a training base in Mexico, preparing for the Central American and Caribbean Championship that will begin on November 23. .

According to Francys Romero, so far this year a total of 53 Cuban athletes have abandoned official delegations.

Receive information from CubaNet on your cell phone through WhatsApp. Send us a message with the word “CUBA” on the phone +525545038831, You can also subscribe to our electronic newsletter by giving click here.

Leave a Reply