Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom

Queen Elizabeth II will miss the opening of Parliament on Tuesday, the first time in 59 years, being replaced by her son Charles, Buckingham Palace announced this afternoon.

“At the request of Her Majesty, and with the agreement of the relevant authorities, the Prince of Wales will read the Queen’s speech … in the presence of the Duke of Cambridge,” Prince William said in a statement.

The decision, he said, was taken on medical advice due to “episodic mobility problems”, so the 96-year-old monarch “reluctantly” decided not to attend.

Crown Prince Carlos has already participated in the ceremony in previous years as his mother’s escort, replacing the prince consort, Prince Philip, who retired from public life in 2017, at the age of 96.

Buckingham Palace said last week that the Queen had intended to attend the event, but would only confirm it on the same day.

According to the Daily Mail, measures had been put in place to reduce the distance he would have to walk due to mobility difficulties.

Leave a Reply