Russia accuses Kiev of new attacks on Zaporizh nuclear power plant
  • Post author:
  • Post category:News
  • Post comments:0 Comments

Russia accuses Kiev of having launched a new series of attacks against the Zaporizhia nuclear power plant, as fighting intensifies on the Kinbourne peninsula and Russian air forces carried out strikes in Kherson.

Russian Defense Ministry spokesman Igor Konashenkov said Ukraine had again attacked the Zaporizhia nuclear power plant as an act of “provocation”, claiming that Kiev-led forces were trying to “create a threat of disaster”. .

“The radiation situation at the nuclear power plant is still normal,” said Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov, adding that however attacks blamed on Ukrainians in Zaporizhya were causing “extreme concern” in Moscow.

The IAEA said on Monday that despite the heavy bombing suffered over the weekend by the Zaporizhia plant, there were “no immediate security concerns”.

“The state of the six reactor units is stable, and the integrity of spent fuel, fresh fuel and low, medium and high activity radioactive waste in the respective warehouses has been confirmed,” the IAEA said in a statement.

The four international experts who are at Europe’s largest nuclear power plant — under Russian occupation — were first briefed by management and then carried out an inspection to see first-hand the damage caused by the bombings on Saturday and Sunday.

Grossi said on Sunday that the attacks on the Zaporizhia power station were “absolutely deliberate, targeted” and classified the situation as “extremely serious”.

“A good dozen attacks” hit the plant, according to Grossi, who, without attributing responsibility to Russian or Ukrainian forces, was outraged that some considered a nuclear plant “a legitimate military target”.

Today, the activity of Ukrainian forces has been concentrated in the Mikolaiv region, to try to recover occupied territory, while Moscow retaliates because of the expulsion of its forces from Kherson.

“We still have three locations (to be taken) on the Kinbourne peninsula” before fully liberating the Mikolaiv region, regional governor Vitali Kim said.

On Monday, the spokeswoman for the Southern Command of the Ukrainian army, Natalia Goumeniouk, had indicated that “a military operation is underway” on the said peninsula, “in silent mode”.

The capture by the Ukrainian army of the last three villages in the Mikolaiv region, conquered from Russian forces, is an important victory for Kiev, a few days after having expelled Moscow troops from Kherson, the main city occupied until that moment.

However, today, the Ukrainian authorities reported that the Russian Air Force carried out new attacks in 12 areas of the Kherson region, which caused the death of at least three people and the injuries of seven others.

In recent days, Russia had already bombed this region, in retaliation for the expulsion of its army by Ukrainian forces on November 11th.

The military offensive launched on February 24 by Russia in Ukraine has already caused the flight of more than 13 million people – more than six million internally displaced and more than 7.7 million to European countries -, according to the most recent data. of the UN, which classifies this refugee crisis as the worst in Europe since the Second World War (1939-1945).

The Russian invasion – justified by the Russian President, Vladimir Putin, with the need to “denazify” and demilitarize Ukraine for Russia’s security – was condemned by the international community in general, which has responded by sending arms to Ukraine and imposing Russia from political and economic sanctions.

Leave a Reply