From the European Union, a sixth package of sanctions on Russia arrived this Wednesday, which includes a ban on oil imports. Meanwhile, it tightens its grip on the last bastion of Ukrainian resistance, with Ukraine accusing Russian forces of entering the besieged factory grounds. Zelensky rejects deal while the country is occupied. Here are the key points of this 70th day of war.
– At Russian forces entered the grounds of the Azovstal factory, in the besieged city of Mariupol, where thousands of soldiers and civilians have sought refuge from Russian forces, Ukrainian deputy and negotiator David Arakhamia reported early Wednesday evening (Ukraine time). Mariupol Mayor Vadym Boychenk also denounced that “violent fighting” at the steel mill continues, accusing Russia of using heavy artillery, and said that there are hundreds of people (including more than 30 children) still trapped in the factory. moscow denied the attack, ensuring that the ceasefire order was publicly communicated by Putin. “There is no offensive” underway, said Kremlin spokesman Dmitri Peskov.
– Ukrainian intelligence services reported today that Russia is preparing a military parade in the port of Mariupol, besieged by Russian forces, for May 9, the day Moscow celebrates its victory over Nazi Germany. According to the Ukrainian Military Information Service (GUR), “Putin’s official’s main mission is to prepare for the ceremonies.”
– A new investigation by the Associated Press (AP) news agency, based on the accounts of nearly 20 survivors, first responders and experts, has uncovered evidence that the Russian airstrike on the Mariupol theater on March 16 was twice as deadly. than what was initially thought. According to the AP, about 600 people will have been killed in the bombing. would be thousand people inside the theater at the time of the attack.
– You bodies of 20 more civilians were found in the last 24 hours in the Kiev region, according to the head of the regional police, Andriy Nebytov. The latest discoveries, in the town of Borodianka and neighboring villages, bring the total number of civilian bodies recovered in the region so far to 1235.
– The Ukrainian president rejected any deal with Moscow as long as Russian troops remain on Ukrainian territory. “We will not accept a frozen conflict,” said Volodymyr Zelensky, adding that he did not want the country to be dragged into a “diplomatic quagmire” like the peace deal for eastern Ukraine brokered by France and Germany in 2015.
– The President of the European Commission announced, this Wednesday, a sixth package of sanctions on Russia, which includes the ban, until the end of the year, on European oil imports, to be implemented gradually. What is at stake is “a total ban on imports of all Russian oil, maritime and pipeline, crude and refined”, announced Ursula Von der Leyen. The Kremlin reacted by saying it was “a double-edged sword”. Realize what is at stake here
– The leader of the Russian Orthodox Church, Patriarch Kirill, and the military chief who became known as “Bucha Butcher”, responsible for the military operation in that Ukrainian region, are two of the 58 individuals covered by the new European Union sanctions proposal on Russia. . read more here
– Antonio Costa goes to Kiev to meet Zelensky, accepting the invitation of the Ukrainian Prime Minister, Denys Shmygal, with whom he met this Wednesday by videoconference. Bilateral relations and the war provoked by the Russian invasion were the central themes of today’s conversation, revealed the head of Government, in a statement to journalists in São Bento. The date of the visit to the Ukrainian capital has not yet been announced. read more here
– The Prime Minister considered “inconceivable” the idea of an outlawing the PCP for alleged support for Russia, highlighted the role of communists for Portuguese democracy and condemned those who want to create “a climate of witch hunt”. read more here
– Portugal is supporting Ukraine to the extent of its possibilities and has already sent more than “170 tons of war and non-war material” for the country, including medical material, disclosed the Defense Minister, who continues “to evaluate the possibility of maintaining this support”. Helena Carreiras also said that the Armed Forces facilities have availability “to welcome about 40 wounded who may come” and that there are about 300 places to host Ukrainian refugeesin a first reception.
– About 3,000 families offered to take in Ukrainian refugee childrenannounced the president of the National Commission for the Promotion of the Rights and Protection of Children and Youth (CNPDPCJ), Rosário Farmhouse, adding that there are residual cases of minors arriving in the country completely alone.
– Faced with the criticism made by the Association of Ukrainians in Portugal, which has accused the High Commissioner for Migration (ACM) of inaction in the face of complaints of the existence of pro-Putin associations in the reception of Ukrainian refugees, the director of the Department of Support for Integration and Valuing Diversity at ACM, Francisco Neves, assured that all complaints that jeopardize the rights of migrants are forwarded to the authorities with the capacity to investigate and are never held back in the institution.
– Still on the case of the reception of Ukrainian refugees by the Chamber of Setúbal, the Minister of Territorial Cohesion, Ana Abrunhosa, said that she awaits with “tranquility” the conclusions of the General Inspectorate of Finance and asked not to make “a case” the rule”.