Three companies that offer services of transport between the Dominican Republic and Haiti have ceased their transfer work due to the insecurity that is registered in the neighboring nation, where a bus that departed from Santo Domingo to Port-au-Prince was hijacked last week.
The companies Caribe Tours, Metro, owner of the bus hijacked last Sunday, and Capital Coach Line, supplier of buses Haitian in the Dominican Republic, have suspended services. The latter made the announcement through their social networks; company employees informed Free Journal The decision was made last Thursday.
For that same date, Caribe Tours suspended the trips, after one of its buses had to return to Dominican territory after an attempted hijacking of one of the Capital Coach Line vehicles by an armed group, which was foiled by a Haitian National Police patrol.
Francisco Marmolejos, Operations Manager of Caribe Tours, told reporters from Free Journal that daily on that route around 90 people moved. The cost of the ticket in the three companies mentioned is around 40 dollars one way and 75 dollars in case of being round trip.
Marmolejos reiterated that they met with the National Department of Investigations (DNI) and “we are waiting for that contact, which has already begun, between the Dominican and Haitian governments to guarantee travel on the Haitian side.”
Truckers are not authorized to cross into Haiti
Vice President of the National Federation of Transport Dominican (Fenatrado), Hipólito Castillo, informed this medium that for months they have not granted authorization for truckers who work in the entity to cross into Haiti due to the wave of kidnappings in that area.
“Now, if they (the truckers) do it, it is already on their part, because there are many who, even working here, also do independent work, but on our part we are not authorizing them to cross there,” he said.
Eight Turkish citizens, three Haitians and the Dominican driver were traveling in the hijacked bus on Sunday. The Haitian National Police assured that the group was kidnapped by the armed gang 400 Mawozoone of the most powerful of the many in that country.
It is recalled that the Dominican diplomat Carlos Guillén Tatis was kidnapped on April 28, who remained in captivity for four days before being released.
Yesterday, the Vice Minister for Consular and Immigration Affairs of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Mirex), Jatzel Román, indicated that the Dominican Republic “does not pay” the ransom of its citizens who are kidnapped by gangs in Haiti.