A doctor from South Africa, who has treated about thirty patients from coronavirus covid-19 infected by the new omicron variant, affirms that they only present “mild symptoms” and that for now they are passing their convalescence without the need for hospitalization.
For the past ten days, Angelique Coetzee, who is also the president of the South African Medical Association, has received patients with tests for covid-19 positive but with unusual symptoms.
LOOK: Ómicron: What is known about the new “variant of concern” of the coronavirus?
“Which led them to consult me” in Pretoria, “it was (above all) due to great fatigue,” he told AFP.
Most of them were men under 40 years of age. Just under half were vaccinated.
- Ómicron: many countries in Europe detect the new variant of the coronavirus before travel restrictions take effect
- How omicron restrains social activity in Europe, while coronavirus cases increase
- Germany registers two cases of the new variant Omicron of the coronavirus
In addition to the enormous fatigue, they suffered from muscle aches, a dry cough or “an itchy throat,” he added. Only a few also suffered from a low fever.
On November 18, Coetzee alerted the health authorities regarding this “Clinical picture that does not coincide with delta”, until now the predominant variant in South Africa. The doctor was not taken by surprise since this picture was already being studied.
Days later, on November 25, South African researchers announced that they had identified the variant B.1.1.529, called the next day omicron by the World Health Organization (WHO), which has multiple mutations and is probably highly contagious.
IT MAY INTEREST YOU
- Mauricio Leal: the famous stylist and his mother die in strange circumstances in Colombia; this is what is known
- The nightmare of the school that won the draw for the presidential plane of Mexico
- He arrived at the hospital with a fever, fatigue and flu, they gave him two years to live and 13 years later he lives to tell the tale
- To try to save his son, who is unlikely to live, a father develops a laboratory at home
- Lifeless body of renowned model Christy Giles was thrown in front of a Los Angeles hospital
- “Who gets vaccinated, wins”: Austrian public television raffles cars and houses to promote vaccination against coronavirus