Penalty statement: KV Mechelen decides not to play against OHL and thus risks forfait defeat

© BELGA

KV Mechelen will not play on the field of Oud-Heverlee Leuven on Saturday. This was decided by the Board of Directors on Friday evening. Malinwa is struggling with a corona wave within the ranks and did not receive a postponement from the Pro League. As a statement, KV has now decided not to play. The decision was made in consultation with players and staff. Malinwa now risks a 5-0 forfeit defeat

thst, havg

Yesterday at 21:10

ALSO READ. Pro League does not postpone OHL – Malinwa, KV considers not playing: “We cannot accept this”

KV Mechelen had asked for a postponement from the Pro League on Friday morning because first and third goalkeepers Coucke and Wenssens are in quarantine after a positive corona test. The Pro League found that insufficient because it does not regard the 20-year-old Wenssens as an A-core player, but as a U21. Malinwa was thus forced to play, but the club clearly disagrees.

What now: lump sum?

The club convened the Board of Directors and it made the decision on Friday evening: there will be no games against OHL on Saturday. “Players, staff and club cannot accept this. We hope that the calendar committee will meet us and respect the spirit of the rule that was approved by the full General Assembly,” CEO said Friday afternoon. If this does not happen, KV loses with fixed figures.

Captain Rob Schoofs previously responded via the official channels of yellow-red: “This is simply not possible, the rule is clear, everyone who reads this rule says the same thing. It is also a blow to any young footballer who trains with an A-team in order to get opportunities. KV Mechelen has six youngsters who are part of the A-team, train with us daily and make minutes in our A-team. This is unfair to those young players.”

Leave a Reply