The pinch hitter Kyle Schwarber he broke the scoreboard with a three-run double in the eighth inning and the Boston Red Sox beat the Seattle Mariners 8-4 on Tuesday night to stay in the fight for the American League wild card.
Schwarber, who gave up his starting team spot to Alex Verdugo, came to the plate against reliever Drew Steckenrider with one out and the bases loaded in the eighth. His double to the right decided a tense duel with Seattle, which yesterday defeated Boston thanks to a fielding error by Schwarber.
Verdugo hit a two-run homer in the Red Sox’s next at-bat off Yohan Ramirez.
The victory leaves Boston in the middle of the game against the New York Yankees and the Toronto Blue Jays in the fight for the two AL wild cards. Seattle is three wins away.
Adam Ottavino (6-3) took the last out of the seventh inning for the victory, while the loss went to Joe Smith (2-4).
For the Red Sox, Puerto Ricans Kiké Hernández 4-0; Christian Vázquez 1-0, with one scored. Aruban Xander Bogaerts 5-2, with two runs scored. The Dominican Rafael Devers 3-1, with one scored. The Cuban José Iglesias 3-1.
For the Mariners, Venezuelan Luis Torrens 2-1, with one scored.
Yesterday’s results and offensive performance of the Dominicans
· Indians 3, Twins 1; for Cleveland, the Dominicans Amed Rosario 4-0, José Ramírez 3-0, Franmil Reyes 3-0 and for Minnesota, Jorge Polanco 3-0, Miguel Sanó 3-0.
· Indians 3, Twins 6; for Cleveland, the Dominican Rosario 3-1 with a run scored and an RBI, Ramírez 3-1 with a run scored and an RBI, Reyes 3-1 with an RBI and for Minnesota, Polanco 3-1 with a run scored, He healed 2-1 with a run scored.
· Reds 5, Pirates 6; for Cincinnati, Dominican Aristides Aquino 4-0. Cuban José Barrero 1-0 and for Pittsburgh Wilmer Difó 4-1.
· Brewers 0, Tigres; for Milwaukee, the Dominican Pablo Reyes 1-0 and for Detroit, Jeimer Candelario 3-1
Cubs 6, Phillies 3; for Chicago Cubs, Sergio Alcantara 4-1 with a run scored and for Philadelphia, Jean Segura 4-2 with a run scored.
· Marlins 2, Nationals 8; for the Miami team, the Dominicans Bryan de la Cruz 4-1, Jesús Sánchez 4-0, Lewin Díaz 4-2 with two runs scored and two RBIs and for Washington, Juan Soto 4-3 with one run scored.
· NY. Yankees 7, Orioles 2; for the New York team, the Creoles on the offensive did not participate and for Baltimore, the Dominicans Pedro Severino 3-0, Kelvin Gutiérrez 4-1 with an RBI.
· Rays 2, Blue Jays 0; for Tampa, the Dominicans Nelson Cruz 3-1, Manuel Margot 3-0 and for Toronto, Vladimir Guerrero 4-0, Teoscar Hernández 3-0. Cuban Lourdes Gurriel Jr. 3-0.
· Cardinals 7, Mets 6; for San Luis, who did not present Dominicans on offense, from the mound, Alex Reyes (8-8), Alex Reyes (8-8) forced the Puerto Rican Francisco Lindor to hit a grounder for a double play that ended the 10th inning with corner corridors. To credit the victory; for the Mets, Jonathan Villar 3-1 with a run scored.
· Rockies 5, Braves 4; for Colorado, Raimel Tapia 5-1 with a run scored; for the Braves, no creoles appeared on the offensive.
· Astros 1, Rangers 8; for Houston, the Dominican José Sirí 2-0 and for Texas, Leody Taveras 4-0.
· Athletics 7, Royals 10; for Oakland, the Dominican Starling Marte 3-1 with a run scored and for Kansas, the Creoles Carlos Santana 3-0, Adalberto Mondesí 4-1 with an RBI.
Angels 3, White Sox 9; by. Angels, Juan Lagares 4-1 for the Chicago W. Sox, Eloy Jiménez 4-1 with one run scored, Leury Garcia 4-2 with two runs scored and one RBI.
· Parents 1, Giants 6; for San Diego, the Dominicans Manny Machado 4-0 and Fernando Tatis III, 4-0.
Diamondbacks 4, LA. Dodgers 8; for Arizona, the Dominican Ketel Marte of 4-3, his seventh homer, with one scored and three RBIs and for the LA. Dodgers, Albert Pujols 1-1 pinch.
· Red Sox 8, Mariners 4, for Boston, Rafael Devers 3-1, with one scored and Seattle, did not present Creoles on offense.