Lionel Scaloni’s team had not lost since the Copa América in Brazil in 2019. With the defeat against Saudi Arabia, they were at the gates of Italy’s historic streak.
Argentina had a historic opportunity: reach the world record of 37 consecutive games without losing. But the mark remains Italy’s, which achieved it between October 2018 and October 2021. The National Team lost 2-1 to Saudi Arabia and stayed at the door, with 25 wins and 11 draws.
Argentina had not lost since June 2019, when Brazil won 2-0 in the semifinals of the Copa América 2019. Then they beat Chile 2-1 in the third-place game and since then, they have also won the Copa América 2021, the Champions Cup against Italy and easily qualified for the World Cup in Qatar. With the Saudis he went for everything and was left with nothing.
The world record is still held by Roberto Mancini’s Italy. Yes, selected that he is not in the current competition. The last European champion built his reign from 2018 to 2021, with a series of 30 wins and seven draws, with 93 goals for and only 12 against.
The first record that La Scaloneta left behind was the one achieved by the Argentine team led by Alfio Basile, who went 31 games without defeat between 1991 and 1993. Along the way, they won the Copa América in Chile and two years later they repeated in Ecuador; also the King Fahd Cup, later recognized by FIFA as the Confederations Cup. Game 31 was on August 8, 1993, when they beat Paraguay 3-1 in Asunción. They had passed 18 wins and 13 draws.
After the mark of Coco Basile’s team, it was Brazil that managed to surpass it, completing 35 games without losing, with 29 wins and 6 draws, between 1993 and 1996. In parallel, in those years, France and Spain also had great streaks . The Galo national team went 30 games without losing (20 wins and 10 draws) between 1994 and 1996, while Spain completed 31 (20 wins and 11 draws) between 1994 and 1997.
In the 21st century, two new streaks relegated the undefeated Argentine in the first cycle of Coco Basile to fourth place. First, the great Spain of Vicente del Bosque, who before being crowned world champion in South Africa in 2010 went 35 games without losing (32 wins and 3 draws) between 2007 and 2009. Then, the 37 for Italy and the 36 for La Scaloneta, which in the World Cup debut came to an end.
The undefeated of the Selection, from the first to the last
- 2-1 vs. Chile (3rd place Copa América 2019)
- 0-0 vs. Chile (friendly) 4-0 vs. Mexico (friendly)
- 2-2 vs. Germany (friendly) 6-1 vs. Ecuador (friendly)
- 1-0 vs. Brazil (friendly)
- 2-2 vs. Uruguay (friendly)
- 1-0 vs. Ecuador (qualifiers)
- 2-1 vs. Bolivia (qualifiers)
- 1-1 vs. Paraguay (qualifiers)
- 2-0 vs. Peru (qualifiers)
- 1-1 vs. Chile (qualifiers)
- 2-2 vs. Colombia (qualifiers)
- 1-1 vs. Chile (Copa América 2021, group stage)
- 1-0 vs. Uruguay (Copa América 2021, group stage)
- 1-0 vs. Paraguay (Copa América 2021, group stage)
- 4-1 vs. Bolivia (Copa América 2021, group stage)
- 3-0 vs. Ecuador (Copa América 2021, quarterfinals)
- 1-1, 3-2 on penalties vs. Colombia (Copa América 2021, semifinals)
- 1-0 vs. Brazil (Copa América 2021, final)
- 3-1 vs. Venezuela (qualifiers)
- 3-0 vs. Bolivia (qualifiers)
- 0-0 vs. Paraguay (qualifiers)
- 3-0 vs. Uruguay (qualifiers)
- 1-0 vs. Peru (qualifiers)
- 1-0 vs. Uruguay (qualifiers)
- 0-0 vs. Brazil (qualifiers)
- 2-1 vs. Chile (qualifiers)
- 1-0 vs. Colombia (qualifiers)
- 3-0 vs. Venezuela (qualifiers)
- 1-1 vs. Ecuador (qualifiers)
- 3-0 vs. Italy (Finalissimo)
- 5-0 vs. Estonian (friendly)
- 3-0 vs. Honduras (friendly)
- 3-0 vs. Jamaican (friendly)
- 5-0 vs. United Arab Emirates (friendly)