Daniil Medvedev called the admission of Russians to the US Open great news

The first racket of the world said he was happy with the opportunity to try to defend his last year’s title at the US Open

Read us at

News
News

The first racket of the world, Daniil Medvedev, is very pleased that Russian and Belarusian tennis players are getting the opportunity to play at the US Open, the fourth Grand Slam tournament of the season. He stated this after defeating the Belgian David Goffin in the first round of the ATP tournament in Halle, informs AFP.

“This is great news. I have always said that I will follow the rules and play where I can. I just want to show my best tennis. I’m happy that I can try to defend my title. I have amazing memories of last year. It was one of the most special tournaments for me,” Medvedev said.

The Russians were allowed to the US Open, taking into account the “unique circumstances”

Photo: Matt Slocum / AP

The day before, the organizers of the US Open announced that they would allow Russian and Belarusian athletes to take part in the tournament.

In late April, the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club (AELTC), which organizes Wimbledon, the season’s third Grand Slam tournament, announced that Russians and Belarusians would not be allowed into the tournament. Later, the WTA and ATP decided to deprive Wimbledon of ranking points for not allowing athletes from two countries.

The US Open will be held in New York from August 29 to September 11. Medvedev is the reigning winner of the tournament, having beaten Serb Novak Djokovic in the final last year.

Leave a Reply