The German national football team beat Italy 5-2 in the Nations League match. This is the first ever victory for the Germans over the Italians in regular time in an official match.
Photo: Martin Meissner / AP
The German national team beat Italy in the group stage match of the Football League of Nations. The meeting, held at the Borussia Park stadium in Mönchengladbach, ended with a score of 5:2.
Joshua Kimmich (10th minute), Ilkay Gundogan (45+4), Thomas Müller (51st), Timo Werner (68th and 69th) scored goals among the winners. The Italians scored Wilfred Nyonto (78th) and Alessandro Bastoni (90 + 4).
For the first time in history, the Germans beat the Italians in regular time in an official match. Before that, Germany had only beaten Italy once in an official match (in the 1/4 of the European Championship in 2016 – 1:1 (6:5 on penalties).
Italy and Germany tied in the central match of the Tour of the League of Nations
Statistics of official meetings between Germany and Italy:
- World Cup 1962. Group stage. Germany – Italy (0: 0);
- World Cup 1970. Semifinal. Italy – Germany (4:3);
- World Cup 1978. Second group round. Germany – Italy (0: 0);
- World Cup 1982. The final. Italy – Germany (3: 1);
- European Championship 1988. Group stage. Germany – Italy (1: 1);
- European Championship 1996. Group stage. Italy – Germany (0: 0);
- World Championship 2006. Semifinal. Germany – Italy (0: 2);
- European Championship 2012. Semifinal. Germany – Italy (1: 2);
- European Championship 2016. Quarterfinal. Germany – Italy (1:1, 6:5 on penalties);
- League of Nations 2022. Group stage. Italy – Germany (1:1).
Germany and Italy play in the Nations League in the third group of League A along with England and Hungary. The Germans are second with six points. In the first place is Hungary (seven points), in a parallel match the Hungarians defeated the English on the road – 4:0. In third place are the Italians with five points, the British close the quartet with two points.
The matches of the third draw of the League of Nations are held from June 2 to September 27. The winner of each group of League A will play in the final stage of the tournament, which will be held in June next year. The host nation of the final stage of the Nations League will be chosen from the teams that have qualified. The semi-final pairs will be determined by an open draw.