Five people were killed in an archery attack in Kongsberg in Norway on Wednesday evening, police cited by dpa news agency. Norwegian police do not rule out a terrorist act.
“Given the course of events, it is natural to assess whether it is a terrorist attack“, said a local police official, Øyvind Aas, during a press briefing.”The man arrested was not heard and it is too early to comment on his motives“.
The internal intelligence services (PST) have been alerted, a spokesperson told AFP. “For now, these are just conjectures“said spokesman Martin Bernsen when asked about the possibility of a terrorist attack.
Police have not provided details of the suspect other than that it is a man who was taken to the police station in the nearby town of Drammen. She neither confirmed nor denied that he was known to the services. No other suspect is actively sought.
The injured were hospitalized. Neither their number nor their condition is immediately known.
Cordoned off neighborhoods
The motives for the attack, which occurred around 6.30 p.m. local time in several locations in downtown Kongsberg, are still unclear at this stage.
The public has been called to stay at home. Several neighborhoods were cordoned off, television footage showing a large deployment of armed police forces and ambulances.
A helicopter and a team of deminers were also dispatched. The internal intelligence services (PST) have been alerted.
Norway, target of far-right attacks in the past
In the past, Norway, a traditionally peaceful nation, has been the target of far-right attacks.
On July 22, 2011, Anders Behring Breivik killed 77 people by detonating a bomb near the seat of government in Oslo, before opening fire on a Labor Youth rally on the island of Utøya.
In August 2019, Philip Manshaus also shot in a mosque near Oslo, before being overpowered by worshipers, without causing serious injuries. He had previously racially shot his adoptive Asian-born half-sister. Several plans for Islamist attacks were also thwarted.