A Truiense villa on Luikersteenweg is uninhabitable after a serious bedroom fire. The resident has to leave her house two months earlier, because according to the schedule, the building for apartments will be demolished. The fire brigade extinguished the fire early Friday morning, after they had first visited the vaccination center after a report of fire. That turned out to be a false alarm.
The emergency call from a blazing fire on Luikersteenweg was received by the fire brigade at 2:45 am. “It was a bedroom fire that quickly developed and spread to the bathroom,” explains sector commander Dirk Odeurs. “Fortunately, we were able to prevent worse by acting quickly. The resident was taken care of by her daughter who lives next door to the villa that had been hit,” says Odeurs.
The villa is uninhabitable. According to the planning, the building will be demolished in two months to make way for new apartments.
Smoke plume at vaccination center
The fire brigade arrived just minutes after the villa fire was reported. That had everything to do with an earlier call, 45 minutes earlier. It seemed to burn at the vaccination center in Sint-Truiden, a stone’s throw from the villa. There was a burning smell and plume of smoke. Immediately the men marched out with great resources. In the end it turned out to be a false alarm and a combination of circumstances. “A thorough check of the seat of the fire yielded no results. It was probably the combination of the combustion of the outdated boiler and the thick layer of fog that hung above the center. Every time the boiler fired, a dark cloud of smoke came out of the chimney and the burnt smell of the fuel lingered through the fog”, concludes Odeurs. (Jozef Croughs)