The increase in pensions will be issued from January 1
Photo: Svetlana MAKOVEEVA
Pensions of non-working pensioners this year will grow by 8.6% – Vladimir Putin addressed the government with such a proposal. The increase in pensions in Russia in 2022 is higher not only than last year’s inflation (it amounted to 8.4%), but also the indexation that was planned earlier. To whom, when and by how much will pensions be raised? We answer the main questions that concern our readers.
1. What will be the increase?
Since January 1, pensions have been indexed by 5.9% (in money terms, this is about a thousand rubles on average for each). This figure was included in the budget, which was adopted in the autumn. At that time, it was not clear what kind of inflation would be at the end of the year. Therefore, the decision on additional indexation was postponed until January. Now the authorities will quickly adopt a bill to amend the budget. According to him, the increase in pensions will increase to 8.6% compared to last year. Due to this, old-age insurance pensions will increase by about 500 rubles. And the average increase this year, compared to last year, will be 1,500 rubles.
– Taking into account additional indexation, the average insurance pension of a non-working old-age pensioner will be 18,984 rubles in 2022, – said Minister of Labor and Social Protection Anton Kotyakov.
2. How can I find out exactly how much they will add to me?
It all depends on the pension you receive now. It is different for each pensioner, because it depends on the accumulated pension points. And they, in turn, – from the length of service, the official salary and preferential coefficients. The relative increase will be the same – by 8.6%. But if one person received 12 thousand rubles last year, and another – 20 thousand, then the increase in rubles will be different.
3. When will the indexing take place?
It all depends on how quickly government officials will draw up the text of the bill, and how quickly it will be adopted by deputies and senators. Given the social importance of the document, the authorities can do it in two or three weeks. That is, pensioners are likely to receive an additional increase from February.
4. Are they compensated for January?
The increase in pensions will be issued from January 1. However, pensions for the first month of this year have already been paid, with a lower increase of 5.9%. What about the 2.7% difference? This has not yet been announced, but experts believe that pensioners can receive an additional payment very soon.
– Money can come for January in the form of additional payment. But, most likely, this amount will simply be paid in addition to the February pension, which will be recalculated for all non-working pensioners at an indexation rate of 8.6%, ”explained on air of KP radio Alexander Safonov, professor at the Financial University under the Government of the Russian Federation.
5. How many people will it affect?
About 30 million people. These are non-working pensioners who receive money from the Pension Fund of Russia. Military pensioners stand apart. Their pensions are paid by their power departments (Ministry of Defense, Ministry of Internal Affairs, FSB, etc.). In 2022, they will also be raised above inflation. This was stated by President Vladimir Putin at a big press conference in December. But the final figures have not yet been determined.
6. Where will the money come from?
The main thing is that there is no need to raise taxes, there is enough money in the budget. In total, additional indexation will require 172 billion rubles. This figure was announced in the Ministry of Finance. Over the past year, the surplus (the excess of income over expenditure) amounted to about a trillion rubles. This year, a solid plus is also predicted – 1.3 trillion rubles.
7. And can it happen that I will not have an increase?
Theoretically, yes. This may be due to two reasons.
First, you are a working pensioner. This category is not subject to annual indexation.
The second is that your pension is below the subsistence level. Now it is happening as follows. Let’s say if your experience and points were only enough for a pension of 10 thousand rubles, and the subsistence level in the region is 12 thousand, then the state adds the missing 2 thousand every month. This is done in order to help the poor and fight poverty. In this case, the annual increase will increase only the nominal amount of the pension. And the actual “amount in hand” will not change – it will remain at the level of the subsistence minimum (the same 12 thousand). True, this level also changes upwards every year.
8. Will working pensioners get more?
There are about 40 million pensioners in Russia. Of these, 10 million continue to work and receive an official salary. For this category of Russians, the annual increase in pensions was canceled in 2016. The explanation was this: these people have two sources of income, so in the aggregate they still receive more non-working pensioners. Due to this, it was planned to increase the pensions of the latter at a higher rate. This is what happened. Indexation for non-working pensioners has exceeded official inflation in recent years.
However, many experts still consider the abolition of indexation for working pensioners not entirely fair. In the State Duma, different groups of deputies submitted about a dozen bills proposing to equalize working and non-working pensioners in rights. But while things are still there.
But this does not mean that in the future a working pensioner will not “feel” all the previous indexations.
– There is such a rule for working pensioners. As soon as a person leaves his job, the Pension Fund receives information that he is no longer working. At the end of the quarter, the pension is recalculated. And it will include all missed indexations. Thus, his pension will be “modernized” to the level of non-working pensioners. And this is done automatically. For this, the FIU has special settlement programs. No one will be forgotten and left aside, Alexander Safonov.
True, a small annual increase in working older people still remained. It is produced in August. This is the so-called reassessment of labor rights. Specific indexation depends on the pensioner’s salary, which he received in the previous year. The maximum in 2022 is 320 rubles. So much you can get with a salary of 39 thousand rubles a month and more. With a salary of 12 thousand rubles, the increase will be less – about 100 rubles.
Growth of pensions over the years
How pensions have grown in past years and how they will grow this year
According to the FIU and Rosstat.
* refers to the pensions of non-working pensioners.