In the case of the missing tennis player Peng Shuai, the professional organization sees no evidence in the exposed videos that the woman is fine.
St. Petersburg (Russland) – In the case of the disappeared Tennis player Peng Shuai (35) does not see the professional organization WTA in the videos that have emerged that the 35-year-old is doing well. “This video alone is not enough,” said WTA boss Steve Simon in a statement on Saturday evening.
The footage, published by Chinese state media, appears to show Peng Shuai in a restaurant in Beijing, he said.
“While it is positive to see her, it remains unclear if she is free and able to make her own decisions,” said Simon. It is not clear whether she can act without coercion.
In early November, Peng Shuai published allegations of sexual assault by a top Chinese politician on the Weibo social network.
Union-Berlin-Blog: A Unioner turns 50, iron congratulations!
The Chinese woman has not been seen in public since then. On Friday evening, a journalist from the state TV broadcaster CGTN published pictures of the Chinese tennis star on his Twitter account. When and under what circumstances the pictures were taken could not be clarified at first.
In the past few days, worldwide clarification has been demanded in the case of the former number one in the double world rankings. Even the White House of US President Joe Biden (79) expressed “deeply concerned”. The WTA has positioned itself clearly and increased the pressure with the threat to withdraw completely from China with the tour.
“As I said from the start, I remain concerned about Peng Shuai’s health and safety and that the sexual assault allegations are being censored,” said Simon.
Tennis top star Roger Federer has also expressed his dismay at the missing Chinese tennis player Peng Shuai. “This news is very worrying. I hope it is safe. The tennis family is together,” said the 40-year-old Swiss at Sky Italia on Sunday.
“I very much hope that she is fine,” said the 20-time Grand Slam winner, who is currently on hold due to another knee operation. He hoped that we would hear something from the 35-year-old soon.
Previously, numerous current and former top tennis professionals such as the Japanese Naomi Osaka, US star Serena Williams, the former American top player Chris Evert or the Serbian world number one Novak Djokovic as well as the organization and the US government had expressed their concern.